Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Don't let that mold set!

You've got to be quick!

You can't let yourself get too comfy in one place, or the clay mold will set!

Remember high school art class?  There is a time to move with deft hands... to shape and form the clay into what might vaguely resemble a rough outline of the sculpture you have in mind.

Then there is a time to slow down, step back, and assess the work you have done and the changes, and modifications that can be made to improve upon the piece.

This applies to so many things in life.

It can apply to our writing projects very well.  If you move quick and write fast, you can stay one step ahead of fear and self doubt. I believe that Stephen King mentioned that in his book On Writing.  If you write it out as fast as you can, "while its almost too hot to handle" the work is at its best.  If you lose that essential momentum, your work "begins to stale off.  The characters begin to feel like characters, and for most writers that is the smooch of death". 

I can attest to that personally.  I have to stay in the "fairy land" of my story.  If I can maintain that connection, then I get a great story that feels real.  The only way to do that is to write every day.  If it takes me too long to write, it feels forced and fake, even to me. 

I feel like I have learned this lesson the hard way.  I read about it over the last ten years, but in the last two years (since I have been doing NaNoWriMo), I have seen the pattern for myself. 

The moral of this post? 

GRAB THAT MOMENTUM  WITH BOTH HANDS AND DON'T LET IT GO!!!

Another great book on writing and momentum, is This Year You Write Your Novel by Walter Mosley.

:)

Happy Writing Friends! Now go write AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!

5 comments:

  1. I'd like to add, in my life I consider some aspects of work to be clay. I have been in my own way a lot lately, chasing down career paths that weren't in my big picture plan. That clay can set very quickly too! So select your clay carefully friends. Life is short. Only work with the very best clay for the project you aspire to. Settle for nothing less. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wrote, "If it takes me too long to write, it feels forced and fake, even to me." Yes, indeed. We tend to force words to come together, which results in unnatural writing.

    When I find myself at this point, I write something else, say, a blog or whatever. Once the juices flow, I am back to real writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. A redirect of creative energy is often just the thing our brains need! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when you feel that momentum and the story practically writes itself. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...