Saturday, March 31, 2012

I’m pretty sure this is normal…

 

So, as I have mentioned before, I recently quit my job.  I am dedicating myself to my writing full-time.  *yay!*

So far, it has been two weeks.

I’ve scrubbed every inch of my house, cleaned out all of the closets, stocked the pantry cupboards and fridge, washed the dishes (countless times), made a few dozen pots of coffee… pretty much I’ve caught up on everything… except writing. 

*bangs forehead on desk*

My self-preservation/self-sabotage reflex is strong.  I poured every ounce of myself into my writing with my free time while I was burning the candle at both ends.  Now it seems that with a lack of “schedule pressure”, there is a lack of motivation. (and not a small amount of pointless fear mingled with my excitement).  To this I say: time to just do it.

No planning, or overthinking. 

This is the time to just get in the routine of writing.  Just sit at my computer everyday, even if I don’t keep what I write, I need to reconnect with that part of myself that withered during these last four months. 

And if the last two weeks have taught me anything, it’s that I need to do it FIRST THING! I get side tracked soo easy! *the other morning I went into my study, turned on my computer, and then went to make coffee while it was booting up, no problem, right? WRONG!  I wound up washing the dishes while I was waiting for the coffee, then proceeded to mop the kitchen while it cooled, and I was in full domestic scrub mode by 9am!* :)

So to all you writers out there that have gone through this rough patch… any advise or tips?

4 comments:

  1. When I first stopped working to write, I seem to remember a lot of sitting around the house reading. I played a great deal of online poker, too. Eventually I got down to writing, though. It's just something you have to train yourself to do. Say 'I'm home, but I've got a job to do and I'm going to do it'. Which is something I need to tell myself again because I've been slacking for about a month now. Back to work! :whipcrack: (that last bit was for me, but if it helps you, too, awesome.)

    Good luck. =o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :whipcrack: LOL, I love it! Thanks :)

      It is soo easy to get distracted! I am doing much better this week... having finally climbed Mount Laundry! *phew*

      Delete
  2. I think I purposely get side tracked first thing in the morning, LOL. I don't get going until about 10 or 10:30.
    Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to be the same way... I have to really make myself sit still until I get my fingers going on my keyboard. :)

      Delete

Thoughts?

Taking time to mentally prep...

I've spent years teaching myself to write.  Turns out, I've also spent a few recent years teaching myself some pretty unproductive h...