Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Negative Habit

neg·a·tive
[neg-uh-tiv] adjective, noun, adverb, verb, neg·a·tived, neg·a·tiv·ing, interjection
adjective
1.expressing or containing negation or denial: a negative response to the question.
2.refusing consent, as to a proposal: a negative reply to my request.
3.expressing refusal to do something: He maintained a negative attitude about cooperating.
4.prohibitory, as a command or order.
5.characterized by the absence of distinguishing or marked qualities or features; lacking positive attributes ( opposed to positive): a dull, lifeless, negative character
----------

I am not a naturally laid-back person... I have to work at it. I know this seems like a paradox, but I tend to care about things a tad too much. What can I say, I'm a very passionate person. :)

I truly believe that negativity and complaining (constantly) are toxic to the body and mind, as well as addictive.

I strive for positive thoughts. After all...it could always be worse, and you should count your blessings and be grateful. I try to keep my complaining to a minimum.

Don't get me wrong... I believe a good vent every now and then is very healthy... but I try to vent responsibly. No one likes that friend who still "vents" about the wrong that was suffered upon them last year.

I know this doesn't seem like a post about writing, but I truly believe that you need to have a positive outlook to be able to think creatively. Negative thought is very habit forming (not to mention, contagious), and if you are exposed to it on a regular basis, even if you try to stay positive, that negativity will seep in.

Once that negativity is in there... your confidence, energy, and even your characters suffer!

I never realized how common place it is, (at least in my neck of the woods), for these seemingly innocent little complaints, or negative thoughts to be used as the main structure of "small talk" until recently. It is simply terrible how many times I find myself in one of these conversations!

This is the stuff that blocks creativity, and I am actively trying to break this "Negativity Habit".

So the question is this: how do you block negativity from your day to day life when it is the socially accepted form of communication?  How do you keep a positive friendship with a negative friend?

Is this why writers tend to be hermit-ish? LOL!

5 comments:

  1. I guess I should add... I'm not putting this off on others... I let negativity into my life by reacting to it... but I am curious how others deal with this particular topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work with the public so I don't have time for negativity. Sometimes I cope an attitude at work, but I try to snap out of it, and rather than vent, I get terribly polite.
    But now that you mention it, if I give into a mood and lose my energy, I lose momentum on my W.I.P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same...I try to force myself to shake it off, when a "mood" is creeping up on me... I just need to remember, I'm not that girl.... I can stay positive! ;)

      My WIP always falls behind when I'm stressed too.

      (Nice to meet you!)

      Delete
  3. I'm always worried about complaining too much, so I usually read the person I'm venting to and cut it short when their eyes glaze over. That's usually a sign that the complaining time is over, and now I need to suck it up and do something about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same.. I try to be a positive engery to be around... lately I could do better, maybe thats why I notice how common it is?

      What makes me uneasy is when they go 'mean' about someone who isn't in the room. I have been seeing this A LOT. I always feel like defending that person, just because. :/

      *sigh* real world problems. :)

      Delete

Thoughts?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...