Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Siren calls...

In Greek mythology, the Sirens (Greek singular: Σειρήν Seirēn; Greek plural: Σειρῆνες Seirēnes) were dangerous creatures, portrayed as femme fatales who lured nearby sailors with their enchanting music and voices to shipwreck on the rocky coast of their island.


I have been dealing with some of that yucky real world stress this week.  *bleh*

You know how that stuff goes for a writer buried in a WIP... at least for me... it goes something like this:

1. I fight off the stress with the initial "I can't deal with this right now, I have to write".

2. The stress refuses to be ignored, growing until it can no longer be called stress, but is now "that ugly thing that resides where my sweet temperament once lived".

3. I go days with out being able to write, but given the surreal state of my surroundings during these times, I don't even realize that much time has passed, until it's too late.

4. My characters seem a bit stale and distant.  They are angry that I have abandoned them, and are giving me the silent treatment.

5. I beg them to forgive me, reliving all those fun times we had together... while I convince my husband that it's not Schizophrenia, and it's normal for writers to talk to their characters. ;)

6.  My characters do not soften at my pathetic plea for mercy, instead, other characters that were listening in on these one sided conversations from the outerlands of my imagination, have entered and offered me comfort in a new story.  They are tempting and seducing me with bits of dialogue, and touching moments with unexpected joys and sorrows.  They make me want to explore this new world.  They make me want to forget the commitment to my current WIP, and I feel wrong about it... but the enticing world is right there... waiting...

It never fails. 

I will finish my current WIP.

I will ignore the Siren call of the next project.

I hope she waits for me.


How do you deal with the Siren call of the next great idea?  Do you stop what you are working on and write what you are feeling?  Or do you power through... after all, it is a job... right?

6 comments:

  1. I often jot down a couple of pages of the new idea. It's the equivalent of taking the Siren's phone number. I tell her I'll call, but only time will tell if I will.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Taking the Siren's phone number.. I love that! That sounds like the best thing to do.

    I gave myself a day..but this Siren is a smooth talker!

    Thanks! =O}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think JB Lynn said it perfectly! Jot down the idea, maybe a clarifying note or two, and then come back to it later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took the first half of today and wrote it out. It's nearly a complete outline, but what is the most interesting, is that this idea is not my usual genre.

      Maybe that is why this idea captivated me so... it completely foreign to me. :)

      Delete
  4. I know what you are going through. I have lost my motivation to write because of some disturbing personal issues (that yucky real world stuff), but today I decided to take me life back and not let what is bothering me impact my writing. I am glad I found your blog, because it added to my motivation to finally finish my WIP.

    I am a new follower. It is nice to meet you. Good luck ignoring that siren. You can do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I will be cheering for you! I am so glad you found my blog too!

      My Siren issues are a tad better this week. ;) Thank you for the encouragement.

      Happy writing!

      Delete

Thoughts?

Taking time to mentally prep...

I've spent years teaching myself to write.  Turns out, I've also spent a few recent years teaching myself some pretty unproductive h...