Saturday, June 2, 2012

Then & Now

I have noticed more and more, in the last year especially, that my approach to writing scenes has evolved quite a bit.  For instance, in 2003, if I were to have an idea or a starting point, I would write that scene, then sit and ponder what that character would do next... literally.  Would they go home?  Yes.  Okay, so write about them at home. 

Can we say boring?  I was so ... step-by-step/ paint-by-number back then.  I remember it was so frustrating.  I would read these books and love them, but just couldn't break them down and see how they ticked. 

Then I started studying both fiction and non-fiction about how to write fiction.  I started reading interviews with authors.  Maybe the very biggest thing that I did since 2008 to train my mind how to construct tension was I began to listen to WritingExcuses.org and stopped reading about how to write, and started actually writing more.

I am currently on day two of CampNaNoWriMo.org and my 1,667 words per day is going swimmingly.  But I'm noticing that as I approach a scene that just last year would have made me sweat a little, I simply said to myself...

I want to show that the husband feels at home in the hospital, it's his safe place.  I want to show that this patients wife is frustrated, but determined to not let that control her behavior.  She is a problem solver.   She keeps her struggles private.  I want her and the doctor to disagree about treatment, and she must find a way to understand why the doctor doesn't think she is good for her husbands rehab at this point.  what does she do?
I basically have a clear goal.  This is how my character is.  This is what I want to show you.  This is both to build my plot up, and reveal my characters to you, the reader.  Everything has a purpose.  Everything lends to character, plot, tension/conflict, setting, and eventually theme.... naturally, not with a gun to the head. :) 

I just wanted to share that.  It is a milestone for me, and I just today realized that I've reached it!

Yay, Me!! :D 

6 comments:

  1. Congrats! It's so important to celebrate all of our milestones. Well done, you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Celebrate, I did... with chocolate-peanut butter ice cream with almonds, chocolate syrup, and Kahlua! :P *yummo*

      I find a 'healthy' reward system helps keep me 'inspired'. LOL

      Delete
  2. I love this post. The change in your approach to writing the scene is so simple yet so effective. Thanks for this. I'm totally stealing it.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, thanks! I'm so glad you liked it! Steal away, friend!

      ;o)

      Delete
  3. It took me a while before I realizes I had to always know where my MC was going, goal-wise. I'm so glad you've hit this milestone--it's a big one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it took me a long time too! I always wondered why my MC was soo boring... then I realized that he was always just waiting for the antagonist to poke him with a stick! LOL!

      Delete

Thoughts?

Taking time to mentally prep...

I've spent years teaching myself to write.  Turns out, I've also spent a few recent years teaching myself some pretty unproductive h...