Pages

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Human kindness

One day, while I was still working at my horrific clinic job and commuting seventeen hours a week to and from work, I drove up on a pick-up truck that had slammed into the big concrete wall on the Interstate ramp.

I pulled over, and grabbed my stethoscope and bag, and ran (carefully) to the truck.  There were already several bystanders off on the emergency shoulder, and I arrived at the same time as another EMT who had been on his way to work. 

The truck doors were locked and the solitary driver was unresponsive, so a by-stander, a very nice business man in a tie, used a tool from his vehicle to bust out the back window for the younger and more flexible EMT to crawl through and unlock the door for a much less versatile me.

While my fellow EMT and I were in the truck with the unresponsive driver, a concerned young couple stood by the passenger door near me relaying between me and the 9 1 1 dispatcher.

 Another middle aged man in Carharts and work boots moved our cars for the fire dept. ambulance to park safely and directed traffic away from us to make the dangerous situation a tiny bit less dangerous (for us in the truck, I did fear a bit for him, but when I asked him to be careful, he simple smiled and winked. lol)

The fire dept. for that township arrived swiftly, taking over patient care and we all nodded and smiled.  We went our separate ways without another word. (except the good Samaritan business man who broke out the window for us, he gave a fire man his business card to pay for damages! How friggin sweet!)

The point is this.  Those people were all  busy, but when they saw a stranger in need, they jumped at the opportunity to be there, even though it was a rather dangerous Interstate ramp during rush hour.  I teared up a tiny bit on my drive home.  Those people were amazing everyday heroes.  I realized as I was driving home that they were like a Stephen King cast of characters, from Mile 81, or The Mist. 

That is something that I love in his fiction.  That human compassion. 

Not many of us get to experience that in our day-to-day lives on a big scale (thank God, because it usually is in a time of crisis), and I think fiction is a great place to  get that kind of connection. 

I love when characters in books make us tear up over simple heroic acts of human kindness.  It is inspiring and heartwarming.  It makes us want to be the kind of people who do those extraordinary kinds of things. :)

I'm really behind in my NaNoWriMo-ing in this week #3, so I have to go write... a lot... but that was on my mind this morning when I woke up, and I wanted you guys to know that Ohio has some really awesome people. 

I don't know who any of you are, but if you read this by chance... I was really proud of you all.

Norah Jones - I Think It's Gonna Rain Today


2 comments:

  1. That is an awesome story, Casey. The news is usually full of negative stuff that it is lovely to hear of human beings rising up and doing good things every so often. It renews our faith in human beings, doesn't it?
    With regard to fiction, it is the novel at its best when it can pull emotion out of us. So great!
    Thanks for sharing.

    -Jimmy

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...