Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Accidental Critic

I have heard it said that when you are a writer, some of the magic of reading gets lost in all that internal editing that we train ourselves to do in the background. 

We deconstruct our favorite novels in an attempt to see why they work, counting POV changes, etc.

I heard it, but never really thought that it applied to me.  I can pick up any good book, and within seconds am happy lost in its depths, the critical editor in me curls up in her comfy chair right along with me.

Or so I thought.

As it turns out (according to my husband), my deconstruction occurs on in a different arena.  My television.

I am told that I cannot sit through a single episode of Bones, or Criminal Minds, or Dexter, or any such show, without turning it into a brainstorming style discussion about plot devices and character and pacing... you get what I'm saying.

I turn each episode into a writing class.

I had no idea... but apparently I've been doing it for years.  LOL!

My poor husband!

Do you guys ever find yourselves turning your favorite shows into lively discussions?

2 comments:

  1. I have a background in screenwriting so, yes, I do. It's a sickness. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! After he told me about it, I began to actively TRY to be quiet during these shows... but it proved to be next to IMPOSSIBLE! :)

      Delete

Thoughts?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...