Sunday, February 3, 2013

Don’t forget… writing is fun!

 

With all this talk of schedules, goals, and outlines… it is easy to forget that writing should be fun.  Why would you do it, if you didn’t love it, right?  Another lesson that I’ve learned, is don’t get so bogged down in deadlines and plans, that you forget to enjoy the journey that your story is taking you on. 

Writing is fun!

Getting lost in the story and characters in your world is a gift.  Sometimes when we worry too much about hitting word count, we are missing the bigger picture, and short changing our project.

I was down for the count a couple of days this week with the flu, and I gave myself permission to call in sick on these days.  No word count worries.  Yeah. I was that sick.

Well, a funny thing happened.

I didn’t worry about my word count.  I just wrote for fun.  I could have watched T.V. or read, but even sick, I chose my story.  It was actually my first choice.  I just ‘played’ with it.  It was quite fun. :)

I don’t know for sure, but I think I may have surpassed my word count goals even with out trying! (I stubbornly refused to look, because I’d called in sick. LOL)

Goals are so important!  But so is enjoying the process. 

Ah, balance… you are so tricky to master. :)

10 comments:

  1. Maybe writing is the best medicine??? Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Casey. With so many of us juggling entirely too much, it can easily become more like work. I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better. My allergies kicked in this week and although I didn't miss any work at the day job, I didn't touch my laptop for four days. *sad face*

    -Jimmy
    http://jamesgarciajr.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, James! I am sorry to hear about your allergies... I certainly hope that you feel better! Sometimes we just need to take some time. Happens to the best of us, though it makes me sad too. :(

      Delete
  3. Hello, Casey! Sometimes when we take the pressure off ourselves, we're much more productive. I'm sorry you were sick, but it's great you got so much writing done. I hope you're feeling better!

    Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting and I appreciate the follow!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, pressure serves to spur us onward at times, but sometimes we just need to cut ourselves some slack. :)

      p.s. I love the Quote Mondays on your blog!

      "It's hard to explain how much one can love writing. If people knew how happy it can make you, we would all be writing all the time. It's the greatest secret of the world."{Andrea Barrett}
      That is one of my new favorites! :D

      Delete
  4. Balance, balance...where can I get some of that? It's so true, though. The process is so fun,and sometimes I forget that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be so easy to forget! I put a post-it note up in my office, it says "You're having FUN, damn it!!" Lol

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...