Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Originality

I was over at Writing Excuses today, and landed on the topic of Originality. *click here to listen to that podcast via writingexcuses.com*

I have been editing and rewriting my WIP, and have had that fear (that writers are prone to) that my story may not be original enough.  I mean, I think my story is unique in it's own way... but really... everything has been done.  Are my characters individuals?  Does my storyline have enough to offer the fictional community? 

Where do you draw the line between Influenced by, and Derived from?  Is one adapted voice, while the other is fanfic? 

It is a very uncomfortable and tricky subject, as they say in  the above podcast.  I don't want to be one of those people that 'tries too hard', nor do I want to follow the market.  I just want to write stories. 

What are your thoughts on the subject?


(If the above link doesn't work: http://www.writingexcuses.com/2012/07/02/writing-excuses-7-27-the-problem-of-originality/ )

2 comments:

  1. It's true, everything has been done, but then again, it hasn't. There are basic story structures, but every writer puts his or her own details or characters or plot twists that haven't been done before. There are still plenty of stories to tell, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. Just look at Elementary. I love the original Sherlock Holmes... but yet... I love Elementary in a completely different way. :)

      Delete

Thoughts?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...