Friday, August 2, 2013

Casey: 1 / Self-Doubt: 0

Hey guys!  I'm so happy to be back! 

I hope you've all had a wonderful summer!  I can't believe how quickly it seemed to go!

While I am not quite where I hoped to be at this point in the summer (seems like I never estimate enough time for my projects), I am done with the draft, and working with some friends on getting the manuscript in good order.


I've officially moved from the desk, to the comfy chair and ottoman. :)
I took a few months off blogging, as well as a semi-break from social media for personal/professional reasons, but also I was nervous about the WIP I was in the middle of drafting. 

 I tend to get lost once the story gets to a certain point.  I think most of that problem was in my head. You know?

Almost as though I was afraid to have too many things going on for fear of jinxing the book.  So, I hunkered down and powered through as best I could with everything going on.  In the midst of that, I realized that I have let myself become moderately superstitious about my writing... and this I need to work on.  I've never been one of those people (at least not consciously), but I think it was my fear overstepping.

But, while my inner self-doubt and fear may have pressed me a little more than I would like to admit, I didn't give up.   Honestly, I felt so sick of this story and its challenges at times, but at other times it really surprised me and helped me through some of the changes that are going on in my professional life.  These characters really have come to mean a lot to me. (Even the antagonists... hell, some days especially the antagonists!)

Over the last month, I have shared my WIP (for the first time during this project) with my husband, my sister, and a friend.  I have swallowed some ego (honestly, it hurts to see your baby criticized no matter how constructively, at first... am I right?), and been psyched to see how it has made the book better! It has a ways to go... really... but I am so grateful for the continued (and awesome) feedback from these brilliant people. :)

Currently, I'm meeting a fellow writer, and friend, once a week to go over sections of the book, and I'm working on polishing it into a tight/smooth read.  This is the part of my writing skill-set that I need to strengthen the most.  I look forward to improving in this area. :)

So... that's pretty much what I've been up to.  How about you guys?  Have you kicked any self-doubt-butt lately?


2 comments:

  1. Hi, Casey. I wish you the best of luck with your WIP. Keep it up and don't let anything stop you! My story is a long one, but I picked up my writing in my late 30's. I'm 44 now, and what drives me is the need to have no regrets. I can't say I wasted time, because I was busy building a life and family with my wife. There were houses and careers built in there, too. The fight I usually struggle with isn't self-doubt, but the feeling that the competition is too tough, and that I should just stop. I have an 11 hour day job which gets in the way. So now you know my struggles. *sigh*
    Best wishes to you as you power through and defeat yours!

    -Jimmy
    http://jamesgarciajr.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the encouragement!

    I admire your drive! No regrets is a good motto. I say my first career is what shaped my outlook and voice. So I don't feel that I wasted time either. It gave me experiences to draw from, right? :)

    Yes, the competition is very tough, but if you can reach even one reader... all is worth it!

    Hang tough, Jimmy! You rock!

    We got this... am I right?! ;D

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...