Saturday, December 3, 2011

When procrastination can turn to production...

I am a world class procrastinator.  Yep.  I have accepted it.  I have a lot of creativity in me, no doubt, and I have used much of that creativity for evil rather than for good. 

My procrastination demons are LOUD.

I like to use the potter's wheel, I paint and sketch, collage art, music, theater and movies, books and magazines on short fiction, and even TheSIMS2 *don't judge me*.  ALL of my procrastinations are in the arts. 

But, it is still procrastination.

I have, over the last two years started channeling some of that energy into various writing exercises.  For example, I have this novel that I have been percolating on the back burner for a few years.  I was missing something in the story.  I didn't know what, but the more I wrote, the worse I felt like I was making it.

I stopped writing.

I didn't want to write anything else, either.  I was so into the story that I didn't want to lose the connection or risk changing the mental channel and never getting reception again.  *you know what I mean*

When I am trying to find a voice for my characters, sometimes I use MSN image search and I will find one picture of an actor or actress that has qualities, or speech patterns of my characters.  I will print out a picture of each character and create a little profile sheet on them.  I am careful not to spend too much time on this, because it can turn into world-builder's disease very quickly, (also, my characters change sometimes), but it does help stir the scenes in my head.

One day, I took a few of these pictures of people and places, and I began telling my story in the form of news paper clippings.  I have seen books do this, and I was just sitting at my keyboard... it just happened.




Before I knew it, I had a stack of news clippings from a fictitious new paper, all by lined by a fictitious journalist that became a major character in that novel, and solved a lot of my problems with the story.  These clippings weren't great, but they got my story going again, like jumper cables to a car battery!

My point? 

If you want to work, but can't:  point your procrastination in a positive direction. :)  It can be wonderful.

*and so much fun* :)

2 comments:

  1. Such good advice! Even if we're not writing, research is definitely an important part of the process, and it doesn't mean we're not productive just because we're not putting fingers to keyboard.

    Great post, Casey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true, and sometimes hard to remember. Sometimes we get so caught up with the self induced pressure to "produce", that we forget the brainstorming and speculating parts are important too! *guilty here*

    Thanks, Jenny. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?

Grounding the reader using "The Pyramid of Abstraction"

In my geekery on writing education, I have stumbled upon a concept introduced in both of these sources by Brandon Sanderson (whom I have ...